Tuesday, December 2, 2008

peer review 4

This peer review is the fourth and final one we had to do for the class. As I look back on the other peer review blogs I noticed some differences, though there was one similiar thing I found. This similarity would be the lack of people actually editing papers. I found this time around to be a lot like the last peer review. Even though we were assigned to groups of 3 or 4 people only only person commented on my paper. The only peer review this didn't happen was the first one. I think that might have to do with the fact that it was the beginning of the year and everyone was trying to do there best at school. I don't know what happened after that but each peer review I got less and less people editing my papers. If I could offer an advice it would be to find a way to moniter peer review so that people would have to do it. If people knew they were getting graded or marked down because they weren't doing peer review I believe they would do it. For me it was frustrating that I would do my part and edit my fellow students' papers and my paper would not get the same sentiment.
On the other hand there were some differences that I liked. For one I believe the advice became better over time. While I got a lot of editing on my first paper the advice was not that helpful or it didn't help as much as I would have liked. Personally I believe this is because we had gotten more comfortable with editing papers the more we did it. The comments I recieve now help my paper to be better. The same aspect applies to the advice I give people. In the beginning I found it hard to edit papers because I didn't know what to look for or how to convey my comment to people. But with practice and realizing what I would like to hear about my own papers helped me become a better editor.
For the most part I liked doing peer review. I felt that the advice given to me made my papers better. That is not to say I always took the advice but they did make me think about my paper and how to improve it

No comments: