Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Peer Review 3

I thought this peer review went better than before. I felt that this time I got better advice on my essay and clear ways in how to improve my essay. The negative is that even though we were assigned groups at this point only one person has edited my paper. So while that person gave excellant advice I would have like more variety.I also felt more comfortable editing papers. I knew what to look for in editing and when to give advice. Through the other two reviews I was finally able to get a sense of what my fellow students wanted from their editors. Of course editing may be easier because I felt that people's papers were more thought out this tome around. A fact I believe relates to the fact that students now know what is expected to be in their essays.
When looking at my past review blogs I notice some changes but also things that haven't changed. The most obvious for me is that in all my essays I didn't feel like I got as much editors as i would have liked. The first time around we had small groups so I only had one, maybe two editors. During the second project I only had one editor until I pleaded with the class to review my paper. This was weird for me considering I felt this review had the best chances for getting a lot of reviewers. I don't know if I'm not giving my reviewers enough time to edit before I check my essay or if they are simply not reviewing my paper. Perhaps in future there should be more monitering on these review sessions.
But as I said there has also been changes which I believe have been for the better. In the first review I was just getting used to editing papers and people were just doing the same with my paper. Therefore I thought it was harder to know when and how to give advice. I also thought the advice on my paper was not so great. But with each peer review I noticed I get better at the editing process. This is also true about the advice given to my papers.
For the most part, the blogs that I looked at would agree with me on the positive changes of the peer reviews. The idea of not enough editors was mixed among the students. For some it was a problem just like me and others must have been fine because they didn't mention it.

No comments: