Monday, November 3, 2008

Reading and writing about comics, part 2

For this blog assignment I looked at Chase's part one blog entry here. Here he talks about a comic located at http://funnyninjas.wordpress.com/. Using Scott McCloud's book Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art, I felt that he did an excellant job talking about one aspect of the comic. He made me think about the icons being used that I had not thought about before. He showed me the relationship between what the book explained and the comic showed. However, he did only talk about one aspect so I want to mention some other thing I saw in this comic.
The first thing I want to discuss is time in the comic. This pertains to chapter four in McCloud's book. Here McCloud attempts to explain how time works within panels. McCloud explains that though there may be a lot of things going on at seemlingly the same moment time is moving forward. I got this point in Chase's chosen comic. Here the characters are speaking through bubbles. While it looks like they are speaking at the same time you can get a sense of order. By looking at what each ninja is saying you can tell what is being said first and which one is the reply. Of course as McCloud mentions the fact that people in America read left to right helps us in this observation. The ninja on the left side usually begins each panel with a sentence and the right sided ninja replies. Even when this does not happen it is easy to tell what happens first.

No comments: